Why collect Aluminium?
- Low weight, but high value: Aluminium commands the highest price per tonne for any material collected at kerbside. Even relatively small amounts of additional aluminium yield reasonable cost benefits.
- Stable price. Because of the cost-effectiveness of recycling compared to primary production aluminium packaging is always in demand, and is relatively cushioned from the fluctuations in value that affect most recycled materials.
- Easy to handle. In the home empty aerosols and foil trays can be collected together, alongside food and drink cans and other dry recyclables. At a MRF aluminium is easily sorted from other materials, and advances in mechanical sorting technology mean separating smaller fractions of the aluminium stream has become more commercially viable.
- Better service. Collecting a full range of aluminium cans, aerosols and foil from the household expands the range of materials that residents are able to recycle in the home, providing a more comprehensive service.
- Landfill Tax. With Landfill Tax set at £102 per tonne in 2023 there is an additional financial incentive for removing aluminium from landfill.