There are significant environmental benefits to recycling aluminium
- Recycling aluminium uses 95% less energy than producing aluminium from raw materials.
- It also saves 97% of green house gas emissions produced in the primary production process.
- Recycling 1 tonne of aluminium saves 9 tonnes of CO2 emissions and 4 tonnes of bauxite – the raw material from which aluminium is made. 1 tonne of CO2 is equivalent to driving 2,800 miles.
- The metal is a permanently available resource. It is 100 per cent recyclable, for ever, so carbon savings increase every time it passes through the recycling loop.
- Making aluminium cans from recycled metal is 20 times more energy efficient than using primary material (i.e made from raw materials)
- The empty drink can you recycle could pass through the recycling process and be back on sale as a brand new can in just 60 days