|Alupro is joining OPRL’s guarantors to add aluminium packaging recycling to the partnership of paper and card, cartons and plastic packaging recycling organisations alongside local authority and brand and retailer recycling interests. The on-pack recycling labelling run by OPRL Ltd, the rapidly growing not-for-profit, embraces all packaging materials in a unified scheme understood and acted on by more than 3 in 4 consumers.
Alupro joins ACE UK, CPI, INCPEN, LARAC and RECOUP as guarantors of OPRL Ltd. The shared ambition of all the organisations is to achieve greater and more effective recycling of packaging materials to establish a truly circular economy.
Rick Hindley, Executive Director of Alupro, said “We are delighted to become a guarantor to OPRL; our members recognise the huge importance of clear messaging to consumers to encourage recycling, and on-pack recycling labelling is a vitally important element of the communication toolkit. We look forward to working with OPRL and its partners to further develop a clear and unambiguous labelling system.
Jane Bevis, Chair of OPRL Ltd, added “Our strength lies in the broad coalition of organisations supporting our labelling scheme and recyclability evaluation and design activities. The public and participating businesses know that the same evaluation framework and rigour is applied to all packaging, and the same simple and easily recognisable recycling information given to consumers. That’s why, in just 10 years, our labels are so widely recognised and trusted.”
“We share with all our guarantors a commitment to support the growth of a circular economy in packaging and packaging materials. This closer relationship with Alupro broadens the range of materials covered, enabling us to draw on their expertise and insight into aluminium packaging-related issues. We continue to develop the right tools to support members in responding to the evolving policy agenda, delivering more recyclable packaging ranges and engaging consumers more effectively in recycling that packaging.”
Notes to Editors
1) OPRL Ltd operates the UK-wide On-Pack Recycling Label scheme used by over 400 member companies and charities. Alupro joins ACE UK, CPI, LARAC and RECOUP as guarantors, giving a broad base of support. OPRL is an independent not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. Established to help retailers and brands engage their customers in recycling packaging, OPRL Ltd opened membership to the wider packaging supply chain in 2017, and to compliance schemes and sustainability consultancies in 2018 and 2019.
2) The Aluminium Packaging Recycling Organisation (Alupro) represent the leading aluminium packaging producers, reprocessors, converters, fillers and brand owners in the UK on issues relating to the recycling of aluminium packaging. Alupro manages several programmes which are making a vital contribution towards encouraging consumers to recycle more: MetalMatters has been managed by Alupro since 2012 and focuses on improving metal capture rates in local authority recycling schemes, and Every Can Counts, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, engages people to recycle drinks cans used outside the home. Alupro is celebrating 30 years of shining the spotlight on aluminium this year. Further information is available via www.alupro.org.uk www.metalmatters.org.uk www.everycancounts.co.uk
3) The OPRL label, which is currently under review, has three categories which tell consumers how likely it is that their local authority will accept specific packaging materials for recycling.
· Widely recycled (75% or more of UK local authorities collect that type of packaging).
· Check local recycling (between 20% and 75% of UK local authorities collect that type of packaging).
· Not currently recycled (fewer than 20% of UK local authorities collect that type of packaging).
4) OPRL’s consumer recognition and response figures are taken from online and face to face surveys of UK residents in November and December 2018, that showed at least 3 in 4 consumers recognise, understand and act on the label.
5) OPRL has developed a range of tools to support members in designing and producing recyclable packaging, engaging consumers in recycling it effectively, and local authorities in collecting it. Our ambition is to support every stage in the packaging materials cycle to help realise a truly circular economy.
6) OPRL is once again sponsoring the Design Team of the Year Award at the 2019 UK Packaging Awards, ensuring sustainability and consumer engagement in recycling are at the heart of the criteria.
Media Contact: Jane Bevis, OPRL on 07585 047457
https://alupro.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/OPRL-logo.jpg 405 720 amy https://alupro.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/alupro-uk.png amy2019-10-30 11:49:152019-10-30 11:54:05Alupro Extends OPRL’s Materials Reach